Wednesday, October 22, 2008

GENETIC IMPRINTS

GENETIC IMPRINTS : : MUSE OF THE IMAGE

The image comes first.

In the beginning, before there was language, there was a non-verbal way of comprehending the world. There was the image. Now, except in our dreams, we tend to translate images into words.

Recently, I made a series of photographs in my studio of women with wild animal skulls. Now that I have made these images, as I am trying to find words, it comes to mind that these photos are more about something from our distant past – from all the way back to the time of the ice.

I recently read the idea that, back at the time of our emergence, the female - the woman - was more than a fertility deity. More than a mother, she was also the first practitioner of medicine and magic and that, in fact, she was the Creator. Back in our stone age emergence, God was female and this still imprints our genetic codes.

For me, the image comes first. I see it in front of me – a woman holding an animal skull. I suggest to the model that this is about life, not death. She works with some direction at first but soon it seems to me that as she carries and caresses her animal totem she becomes a soul carrier and spirit guide.

I react to this by submitting myself to the model and her intuitions. We become collaborators as we respond to GENETIC IMPRINTS.

No comments: